Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Lady Bird's King Ranch chicken


So I’m kind of a sale and freezer whore, when I find something on sale I have to stock up on it and if it’s food I just keep it in my freezer until I actually need it. I went grocery shopping this morning after spending way too much money on a new charger for my laptop (thanks a lot apple) and found chicken on sale and I had to get like 15 pounds, not exaggerating. 

Since I have a ridiculous amount of chicken in my freezer I figured I would pull some out and make King Ranch Chicken to live off of until I get to make food for my white-trash themed birthday party this Saturday because my life is about to get hectic with tests and work and pretty much everything

King Ranch chicken is possibly the best soul food casserole around. The recipe origins are pretty unclear, but I think it’s safe to say that it probably originated somewhere in the vicinity of the King Ranch. The King Ranch is the coolest ranch in the world and one of the only places in Texas that you can actually hunt zebra. 

I’m using Lady Bird Johnson’s recipe, because it’s freaking Lady Bird. Us Texans love the Johnson’s and L.B. is practically the hero of every debutante ever from the great state. She even has a lake named after her in Austin. I got the recipe from the LBJ presidential library website http://www.lbjlib.utexas.edu/johnson/archives.hom/faqs/recipes/king%20ranch.asp


Here is a recipe that is super good, just not the original recipe
http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2007/10/king-of-casseroles-king-ranch-chicken.html


















No comments:

Post a Comment